Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mending fences...

Last week my oldest daughter, Ashleigh invited me to her concert...a huge step as we've not been on speaking terms for quite some time. That's a story for another day...

The concert was fabulous – I was on pins and needles waiting to hear her sing. I know she has a lovely voice, but hadn't heard her in awhile and really wanted to!

The new choir director/guitar instructor did a fabulous job putting this together. He combined the two classes several times and did just such a wonderful job!!! I was very impressed.

It started with the Mixed Chorus, moved on to the guitar classes; beginning, intermediate and then advanced. There was a “fun” piece “I love you, you love me – Barney” and it was put in as a joke and to call a student's bluff – fortunately, I didn't hear the “I love you”, I heard “This old man” LOL I hate Barney...bleh. Anyway, it was a guitar duet and just got a lot of fun right in the middle of the program.

I got to hear”Simple Man” - Leonard Skynard, No One Wants to Cry – Taylor Phelps (an original piece by the student and sung with another student) and Transylvania – Iron Maiden. Wish Tom could have been there to hear those pieces because he could've told me if they were actually good or not – but I was impressed with the fingering – it can't be easy! Such coordination!

Then it moved on to the Woodland Beginning Choir – the Sound of Silence and Scarborough Fair – both of which was combined with the guitar class...I think there were close to 20 guitars up there and 6 or 7 of the choir – it was really good. Sang right along with them, yup, I did, but quietly, to myself as I know I sing off key. Then the choir did Dust in the Wind with Mr. LiaBraaten accompany on the electric guitar – well done, but should have been practiced more, I think, either that or the kids were just getting tired.

Finally the Show Choir – Ashleigh's group. There were 8 or 9 girls up there and they all looked so pretty. They sang “Steppin Out with my Baby”, “And So It Goes – Billy Joel” - this is the one that I absolutely gave up and started crying. They sang it accapella* and seriously sounded like angels...every one of them. On to “He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother”, “route 66”, “Stormy Weather” and “jump Jive and Wail” - the last one was a lot of fun..that's part of the blurriness in the photos.

Had two wonderful conversations with Ash, she told me about her upcoming graduation – she'll be speaking at it, too! I asked her if she was Valedictorian, and she said they don't really do that anymore because every time they had a Valedictorian, they refused to speak! What the hell!?!? That was supposed to be a huge honor! She said that if someone wanted to speak, they had to apply – and there would be 3 student speakers. Wow...very interesting.

Oh – the pictures of Bo...he's the drummer...and has been THE drummer since, what, 6th grade? The girls absolutely screamed for him – he's a funny character and a good kid...got a kick out of the “shades” he put on halfway through the set. He's only one other student that I actually recognized from previous concerts (and church).

Pictures can be seen on my facebook...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie

    Enjoyed reading your blog; please update it - would love to hear more. Your life is NOT boring at all! Your friend, Linda

    ReplyDelete